Monday, October 12, 2015

Writing the first chapter of my second book

I have written it, re-written it and then have tossed out what I have written, repeatedly. I have mapped out where I want to take the reader, but have not been able to establish the right route. So yesterday, I started with the dreaded outline. Working on it was not as hard as I had thought it would be, although it took all afternoon to complete. I only have the outline for two scenes and hope this week, I can actually write something that I can keep.

And as I work, I can't help remembering London and France where on display were all sorts of treats at various bakery shops. We did sample a few and found the cheaper ones to be beautiful but not tasty. The more expensive pastries were both wonderful to look at and to eat.

In the same way I would like the books I write to have substance, not just be a book. I've read so many books that were just . . . .fine. Very few were inspirational, and even fewer were exceptional. I suppose what I wish for is what all writer's aspire to. We all want to be amazing.

I'm sure each of the bakeries want their customers coming back to sample and buy their newest creations, also.

Which causes me to wonder why my absolute best is only okay, and another's first attempt can be exceptional.



.   

No comments:

Post a Comment