Sunday, January 15, 2017

Peppermint oil

When I read books about the sick room in the 1800’s and of the peppermint water in doctors’ bags as well as leeches. I usually smile.
So primitive. Any yet, maybe not. Maybe remedies of the past still work today. Recently, I went to an essential oil party and saw all the cute little vials.
Suffering from allergies I made a blend. Lo and behold, it worked.
Peppermint is a naturally occurring hybrid of spearmint and water mint. It has been found in Egyptian tombs dating back to the pyramids. In the mid 1700’s London cultivated and grew peppermint.
The United States was the first to commercially grow peppermint in the late 1700’s.
So why am I writing about peppermint when I’ve already blogged about doctors of the 1800’s. I have been sick lately and got out all the essential oils that I thought would help. My room smelled of peppermint to the point that now smelling it makes me sick.
Having used peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, lemon oil, and lavender oil has helped me to stop being snobbish when reading the books I love and the medicines they used.
I’m still against leeches though.

No comments:

Post a Comment