Friday, March 21, 2014

How much would a Regency England gown cost today?

When I describe my heroine’s gown, I give little thought to what it would have cost. So yesterday, for fun and to take a break from writing, I began researching prices in the early 1800’s.

Just a simple gown of silk - a day dress like this one would cost around 1 pound 6 shillings for the material, which would equate today to be about $90.00. Add in the ribbons and the other essentials to make the dress, thread, interfacing, the pattern etc as well as the fee for the seamstress.

In my estimation in today's currency including silk stockings, at 20 shillings which is 1 pound $98.00, shoes at 11 shillings $36.00 and cotton undergarments at 6-10 shillings or $33.00. The total for just a gown to be worn in the morning would be $257.   




No comments:

Post a Comment