Monday, December 16, 2013

Reading Emma by Jane Austen


 I tried once again to read Emma by Jane Austen. I don't know what it is about that book, but I just can't get through it. Perhaps, it is because Emma at 22 seems to think she knows everything. Maybe it is because everyone around Emma with the exception of Mr. Knightly seems to think Emma knows everything, too.

For whatever reason, I read half-way through and just couldn't take her machinations one minute longer.

I'm not a wimp when it comes to reading. After all, I've read Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  
Out of the two, I would read the latter rather than the former.
I know some people that just love this book. I ask them why and they say the same thing every time. Emma is funny. But Emma messes with people's lives, so it doesn't seem funny to me. 

I know, I know. Books are not real. Enjoy. Maybe when I try again next year. 

God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land. Psalm 68:6



No comments:

Post a Comment