Thursday, December 5, 2013

England's Regency Period



The Regency period was rather a short period of time from 1811 through 1820, however it was first discussed in 1788 when
King George III first began showing signs of madness.

Now throw in upwards of 40,000 French refugees coming into England to escape the Terror, it was a time of great changes and economic upheaval.

I love reading historical romances set in the Regency era. I read contemporary books and historical accounts of different events in history, and yet I always come back to the books about Regency England.

It might be because during a tumultuous time in history the wealthy and elite dressed in their finery and still went about the business of making connections to become more rich and more powerful under the guise of balls and breakfasts, marriages and country parties at their vast estates. 

I'm sure if I lived in that time, I would not find it at all that fascinating. Instead, I have no doubt that I would be hauling chamber pots through cavernous castles and mansions only to find a place to empty them. Lastly, I would have the distinct joy in scrubbing said pot until it was pristine only to have it used again.


In that day you will say:“Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted.” Isaiah 12:4







No comments:

Post a Comment