Friday, December 6, 2013

Regency Mourning Gown



Writing takes up every spare minute that I'm not working, playing or reading.

I've read Regency novels since I was a 5th grader. The absolute worst thing an author can do is to take their heroine whom you have grown to love and then have her do something out of character just so that she can get into trouble again and be rescued. 

One day after finishing a book like that, I thought I could do better. I began writing my own book.

Five years went by and I had accumulated over twelve inches of writing, but still it was not the story that I had envisioned.

My daughter, who is an artist made this mourning gown for my heroine. 

Just seeing what my heroine would have worn helps me to look realistically at the time period. It’s kind of a fun thing to look at and wonder if any gowns were ever made in this style and color.  

Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith?"

Matthew 6:29-30

No comments:

Post a Comment