Friday, March 27, 2015

Revisiting Persuasion by Jane Austen

The results are in and my book did not make the finals. Although a great disappointment, I press on. I enjoy writing. I revel in crafting a story. I relish the moment when a family member or friend reads my work and comments on it.

One of my favorite comments was . . "it's like a gallop into the unknown."  Another favorite was. . "I've stayed up way too late reading it (your book) wanting to know what will happen next."

So I continue on. . .

I've mentioned before that my favorite book is Persuasion by Jane Austen. My daughters bought the book for me for Christmas one year. I have read this book every year for a number of years. It is beyond wonderful.  Although Pride and Prejudice is a close second.

I find new jewels in the story every time I read it. For instance, when Anne knows she will meet Captain Wentworth for the first time since she sent him away seven years before, she begins to analyze what he must be going through.

"He must be indifferent or unwilling. Had he wished ever to see her again, he need not have waited till this time; he would have done what she could not but believe that in his place she should have done long ago, when events had been early giving him the independence which alone had been wanting."

It breaks my heart to think that her heart was steadfast, but the man she loved's heart had changed toward her. She comes to the conclusion that he no longer loves her and no longer has a wish to see her. The reason that Lady Russell did not give her blessing to their romance in the beginning was that he was not able to support Anne. Now he has the income, why didn't he return?


No comments:

Post a Comment